Friday, September 18, 2009

So I've been thinking...and wondering...

First, before I get to the things that have been running thru my mind....

Tuesday Night Sewing Date!
I know I didn't post Tuesday, things have been pretty crazy this week so I didn't get a chance to post until now. Plus I feel like I'm in a little blogging-rut :o( But it's nice to have this fun night to post about to keep me going!

So, Tuesday was a bit of a mish-mashy day, worked on a lot of little things: mom & I worked on altering the dress I'll be wearing to a wedding this weekend, got ready to hang some pictures in the basement, worked on sewing blocks for the wedding quilt, and picked fabric for another block!

I found this absolutely wonderful little pattern that I fell in love with as soon as I saw it! It was so touching, because I have loved Willow Tree Angels for at least the past 8 years since my Grandfather passed away, and then collection began. My husband gave me this Willow Tree Angel last year "Promise" for our first Christmas as husband and wife. I don't remember where I found it, it was on one of my late night blog excursions, so if you know where it was, I would love to thank them, and give credit where credit is due!

Dani joined us, like usual, and worked on an adorable little bag she's making with left-overs of her beach fabric. And by golly, it's going to be adorable!!


Okay, now for the thinking and pondering.....
The hubby and I have talked that when we have kids, I would like to stay at home with them, at least for the first few years. With the state of the economy, it wouldn't be anywhere near possible now, but we're hoping when the day comes, we can swing it. So my questions go out to you stay-at-home-moms...

- Did you do anything to prepare before making the decision to stay home?
- What kind of things are out there for a stay-at-home-mom to do to help earn some income?

(I know some of the usuals: sell on Etsy, garage sales and sell things in the house, Tupper Ware/Mary Kay, etc.) but I'm wondering if there are other things out there that I'm just not thinking of/aware of.)
- Was there a point where you struggled, but decided to just stick with it, and made it thru?
- Any other thoughts and ideas would be much appreciated!! Answer yourself, bring friends, and thank you!


I know everyone out there in blogland is so helpful, and I would love to get some insight on how so many amazing women are able to make it at home with their children. I would love it if it worked out that I would be able to do this, I just don't know if we'll make it there.

Always,

2 comments:

JAS said...

Anyone can do...it just takes sacrifice on your part. One thing that sealed my decision is that I didn't want someone that is paid minimum wage to raise my child. Anywho, I won't get on my soap box but I had to cut back on wants and focus on needs. Before getting pregnant, we saved our pennies. We saved $ as a one year sludge fund. Cool thing is, we have yet to touch it and this is my 3rd year home. I do without-i.e. salons, massages. I use coupons like they are going out of style. I buy all resale clothing for my little toot. We use the library for movie rentals and I buy museum and zoo passes which in the end saves me big bucks. I really do not sale anything outside of the home except the occasional Just Between Friends sales (kids consignment), but I have tons of friends who tutor on the side or do piano classes. With your talent you could do sewing classes for kiddos. Joann fabrics makes bucks with thier cheezy classes. Wee Wednesdays? It is so possible and let me tell you...I am busier now than I was in the working world. I shake my head when people say, "Oh, your are just a Stay at home mom". Whew, that is a hand full of typing. Hope this helps. ohh, and don't be ashamed if you do have to work with kids. Sarah Palin balanced it all.

Cathie said...

I am no longer a SAHM, but was once, and stayed home until my first child was 16. It was a sacrifice, but not torture. We did remind ourselves often, if not every day, that our values included spending lots of time with our kids instead of lots of money on things.
In answer to your questions:
- Did you do anything to prepare before making the decision to stay home?
We decided when we bought our house that only my husband's income would be figured in to the amount we could borrow. We bought a modest home and paid back the down payment loan from our parents as quickly as we could.

- What kind of things are out there for a stay-at-home-mom to do to help earn some income?
I made doll clothes for a woman who sold them at craft fairs and festivals, and I babysat full time for a couple of years. When the kids were in preschool/kindergarten, I did take a couple of temporary office jobs so I could pay for paint, drapes, wallpaper and new bedding when we bought a new house.

- Was there a point where you struggled, but decided to just stick with it, and made it thru?
We struggled most when my husband was laid off one job, got that one back but then decided to work for a different company for lower pay but better job security. I offered to go back to work, but since I was still nursing a baby, he said no. We had to borrow a little money, and paid minimum payments for awhile, but we did make it. We didn't allow ourselves any luxuries until the loan was paid off - that was the priority.

- Any other thoughts and ideas would be much appreciated!! Answer yourself, bring friends, and thank you!
There may be many things you can cut out of your lifestyle that after awhile won't be missed. Extra cable tv channels, new clothes every season, eating out, buying lots of convenience foods, fancy vacations, etc. You can learn and be proud of cooking from scratch, dressing your family on a budget, using the library and public parks, swapping babysitting, having modest holiday celebrations, and such. All that said, there are some things you will decide are important. We chose to stay in a home with a lower payment and avoid car payments so we could pay for music lessons and sports fees. I sewed clothing so we could have more cute outfits for the girls for less money (and it was fun, too.)
One nice thing that we didn't at first realize would happen was, that when I did go back to work, I was able to pay for college tuition as the girls went through college, since we weren't accustomed to having my income for daily lifestyle expenses.

I hope you have the support you need to make the right decision for your family.